Monday, December 4, 2017

Sew Chaotically! - Exercise tops for Roo - M7610


Or....waste not want not!  Or...playtime!!  Or...tops that are a party in the back!!! - could all serve as appropriate titles for this post.  As I've mentioned, Rosie and I are getting fit (read - having our booties kicked!!!) in a weekly Barre Boot-camp exercise class.   Rosie has always been a hardcore runner, spoiling me with workout/running/hiking tops as gifts, but pretty much just going with a jog bra and tank/tee for her own workouts.  With our new gig being downtown and all...I thought it would be fun to make her a couple of things.  And what with having recently made some knit tops...there were odd bits and bobs of left overs lying about!!!

I picked up this pattern when it was on sale and thought it would give me some perfect options.
I had this bit of underwhelming grey stretch knit, previously used as a dress lining, at hand.
However, it seemed the perfect foil for my last bit of Pinky Pink Power Woman  fabric!  Sure enough, at our last class, the combo cast its spell!  As Roo powered through her workout, a fellow classmate said, "Rose, I love your top!  It's so cute.  Where did you get it?"  Are those not the perfect words to warm a sewist's heart????
With this remnant of the super soft knit I used in my Basic InstincT Tee....
...I made this!!  The pattern has you make a twist...but that turns out rather wonky.  I tried a double twist...and a knot.  In the end, I settled on a folded gather, stitched in place.  Both are a size 12.  I folded under a hem on the neck, arms, and bottom, but left a simple serged edge as the finish for the grey pieces front and back necklines.  My only adjustment was to scoop out the neck on both tops just a bit.  When I make them again, Rosie requests that they be a tad longer.
These were fun easy makes!  Now "sit down in your favorite chair" my real live Pinky Pink Power Woman!!! - love, mommy

1 comment: