Saturday, September 2, 2017

14 years in Melanoma World...


It is hard to believe I have spent 14 years living with melanoma.  It seems like a blink.  It seems like forever.  It has not been easy, but what life is? Rather than running away from it, I chose to dig deeper into this crazy world and its amazing peeps.  With that choice, I have lost many dear ones, made lifetime friends, cried many tears, and laughed out loud.

I know I am one lucky bug! Literally:  From September 2016 - Lucky Bugs

I've gotten to live, work, play, travel.  I still run, hike and exercise.  I am blessed to be able to play in the dirt, make pretty things, help others as best I can, and laugh with lovely friends and family.  For all of that and more, I am thankful!  Lucky Me!!! I'm 53! Living with melanoma and HOPE!!!

With that here are my updated annual stats:

168 months (14 YEARS!!!!) post my original melanoma diagnosis in 2003 at the age of 39
88 months Stage IV (more than 7 years!!!)
82 months NED
80 months after starting nivo (Opdivo)
50 months (more than 4 years) AFTER my last nivo infusion in June 2013.

As such, I don't have much of a bucket list.  Partly because I have been utterly spoiled ('Rurnt', per the girls at work!!!) for the past 29 years by my dear, sweet B!!!  Beside him I've been able to find excellent melanoma care; enjoy our beautiful children; work hard at a career I've loved; share a nice home; see places I never dreamed I'd see; travel in buses, boats, planes, trains, and even a hot air balloon; learn new skills (or at least play at them) with his endless patience for my evolving "enthusiasms" and unflinching support.

Now my plan is to carry on.  Working, playing and living as much as I can each day.  I hope to be able to do my small part to make the world a better place.  I loved The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy. Given the mayhem across the globe and the simultaneous devastation and fortitude
being endured and exemplified daily in Texas, I thought this was perfect:

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." ~ Arundhati Roy

Another world is on her way...  For my melanoma peeps...for all of us.  See you there ~ love, les

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget horses and feet! You are an endless world of wonder. ILY

    ReplyDelete