Friday, September 30, 2016

Sew Chaotically! - Grainline Studio's Alder Shirtdress (no ruffle but with Mandarin collar!)


I'm sure you remember my first Alder Shirtdress!!!

AND my excitement for my fabrics purchased from Miawa

Now I've finished the second one!!!  Again with a perfect fit...using my usual size 8 per Grainline sizing.  Simply cutting it to the longest length, rather than splicing in additional length at the appropriate line 'within' the pattern.  (Hey, it worked once....just rollin' wid it!!!)  Planned all along to make this one in the simpler version (though it left me making the more difficult one, due to the bum ruffle, first) because I thought the print would work better this way.  Applied a "Mandarin" collar (a variation Grainline discusses in their sew-along) by just using the collar stand.  And here it is:
Had to meditate a bit on what part of the fabric to use in the button band!  I think my final decision worked out pretty well.
Yes, my friends this one has a yoke at the upper back as well.  I know, I know...such matching!!!  Hee, hee!!!

Loved the variegated buttons, also from Maiwa....they worked with the fabric perfectly!!!




I REALLY like this pattern!  It sews up very easily.  The guts are completely finished since I flat felled the side seams.  I can see this version melding easily into fall with blue or brown tights and a jacket or sweater.  These are probably all the Alder's I'll make this year...but come spring.....  Hmmmm.....  Sew chaotically! - c

1 comment: