Sunday, December 8, 2013

How am I? Thankful....

Running yesterday, I realized that I had not given an update about ME, in a while....and that's a good thing!  In thinking about how I am, mostly, I am thankful.

I am thankful that even though B doesn't know the difference between violas and pansies....he knows pretty faces are important!


I am thankful, that in our shared, weird and wonderful spirit of celebration and defiance, B and I attended yet another of Vince Gill's annual Song for the Children concerts to benefit the local chapter of the Children's Advocacy Center.  Our first attendance was literally days after my last surgery for melanoma, a tonsillectomy, oddly enough, in November of 2010, just before starting my anti-PD1 trial that December.  Gill and his band provided another amazing show.  Thanks Vince!!!

I am thankful that I got to see another beautiful fall here on the mountain.






I am thankful, that despite about a month's recurrence....that never got as bad as they had been....mouth ulcers and mucositis have been pretty much absent from my world!!!  Occasionally there is a sore spot on my tongue or cheek that worries me...but to be honest...had I not experienced what I have, I would probably not even notice!

I am thankful that I've been allowed to watch B's cherry trees, planted after almost 5 years with melanoma,  grow 5 more years!



I am thankful for a wonderfully delicious and fun Thanksgiving with B and the kiddos.

I am thankful for a job that is certainly keeping me busy, but is filled with many dear patients and friends.

I am thankful, and somewhat astounded that I AM NOT getting scans in the coming week as my heretofore every 3 month regimen required for the past 3 1/2 years!!!!!

I am thankful that I AM NOT going to Tampa in the coming week as I have been for the past 3 years!!!  Will be doing all of those things in March, I suppose...but not this week!!!

I am thankful, despite all its difficulty, that I did have the opportunity to attain the treatment I have received.  Though I do not know how much longer my reprieve from melanoma will be granted, I am certain I would not be here today without it.

I am thankful for the Affordable Care Act.  Through Healthcare.gov, (Yes, the very site that had problems at first, is now working very well!!!)  I have been able to successfully sign up for an insurance plan for me and my children DESPITE my pre-existing condition that is actually CHEAPER and provides BETTER coverage for the three of us, starting January 1st, since Brent has retired and we will no longer be covered by the insurance through his work.  And though I HATE ALL INSURANCE equally and with a passion, it is essential in this day in age in order to have medical care without the risk of financial bankruptcy.  At least this legislation prevents discrimination against the millions of us...including newborn babies, Mr. Hudgens, Mr. Fire and Insurance Commissioner for the state of Georgia....who did NOTHING WRONG...who for all sorts of reasons ended up with that soon-to-be irrelevant label....pre-existing condition!  So, yes, I am thankful.

I am thankful that it seems this blog provides at least some information and succor for those in need.

I am thankful for dear friends and family who keep me in their hearts.

Yes, I am thankful indeed! - c


3 comments:

  1. We are all thankful for YOU! Beautiful Pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruthie. Have to brag....took those pics myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees this fall were so beautiful! I don't remember them being much prettier, though I remember a spectacular fall view on your mountain as I flew in to visit you one time. It is always so pretty there. I to am so glad you got the treatment and that you are finally having some relief from mouth ulcers and mucositis!

    ReplyDelete