Sunday, July 18, 2010

The techie

Fred and I took the Roo down to Georgia Tech early Thurs am and dropped her off for her 2 day orientation and registration session. Then we were off to the Dekalb Farmer's market for a little shopping and home again. After getting some chores done around the house I headed back toward Atlanta Friday afternoon to fetch the girlie girl, stopping first to see my friends at Peds Care. (It was great to see all of you! I know I'm weird, but I can't wait to get back to work!!!! You all looked wonderful.)

Rose had a great time (albeit some of the sessions were boring and she was followed around by a couple of creepy guys who couldn't take a hint). She really liked the girl who was her roommate for the session, originally from Honduras and now lives in Miami, and another girl who is also interested in chemical engineering that she met in one of her registration sessions. She had fun at a dance on Thursday night and got a schedule of courses she is pleased with. I had warned her not approach the advisers like she was "all that" because everyone who got in is smart and the advisers have certainly had their fill of freshmen who think they are the hottest ticket in town....not that Rosie is like that, but I only have a little more time to get these sermons in!!!! And she kindly puts up with me telling her things like that, so...it was pretty funny that at one meal all the guys at the table with Rosie and her roommate were bragging about how many AP courses they had taken and how they had done this and already accomplished that while she and her friend just smiled and said, "How nice." Then, the Ga Tech transcripts were given out... These are the papers that now erase all that has gone before. It represents what Ga Tech has decided all your work is worth in transfer credit. Rosie, followed by the other girl, had the most credits, by far, than any of the others at the table!!! She was given college credit for History, English, Chemistry 1, Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 as well as a Physics course. However, she is planning to retake Chemistry and Calculus 2 as well as Ga Tech's preferred physics course so that she will have a good foundation for the coming courses and that is fine with me. That still gives her credit for 3 courses and the others will be a good way to get her feet wet and review. I was tickled with how well she handled herself and managed everything on her own. Brent and I could have attended, but like her brother who did his orientation at UTK on his own, she didn't want us to. They're pretty cool kids, I have to say!!!

I was looking at some pretty gnarly traffic heading out of Atlanta as I was heading in, so after I picked her up we ate supper at Noodle, one of her favorite restaurants, and got caught up on everything. She is so excited about all the opportunities Tech offers and also about the fact that her good friend, Maureen, is going to be her roommate. They are making all sorts of plans. The way home was fine except we got hung up in terrible traffic once we were back in Chattanooga at the 75 - 24 split. There were wrecks toward town and toward Hamilton Place, so we just sat (for an hour!!!) and talked and listened to our music.

Fred-o has been gone this weekend, visiting some friends in Knoxville. Rosie and I have been doing some little chores and such while Brent is working the nursery. I had planned to get in some longer runs this weekend, but was rudely reminded that that was not to be, since as a prereq to the PET scan I'm to have on Monday, I am to remain calm with minimal exertion for 48 hours prior. YUCK!

I sit, twiddling my thumbs, very calmly and still......c

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know when you are calm and still, I wish to witness this moment.

    I Love You Crazy Lady!

    ReplyDelete